Tuesday, March 27, 2018

A creative diversion

Stained glass is my medium of choice. So when I got the opportunity this weekend to try a diversion of creative expression I was intrigued. A friend and I visited St. George, Utah and learned some amazing and fun art. I found that creating in another medium enhanced my own creativity and opened my eyes to different art forms. It was an artist retreat and I highly recommend it.
Here are some of the tools we used to blow out a chicken egg. He has also used duck and ostrich eggs.

One of the activities we  participated in was learning the beautiful art of  Ukrainian Easter eggs. Gary Miner was our talented teacher.

This is where you can order tools for your own adventure.

Working with specified tools, the wax is adhered to the blown egg. There are books with patterns to choose from.
The dyes can last for many years. 

Between each application of wax, the egg is immersed in the dye.
This magnifying glass came in handy.

After numerous dips into various colors the wax is melted off to reveal a glorious work of fragile art.
Here is my egg in progress.

I was impressed with the precision it took to create the lovely patterns.

My lines are a bit wobbly but I had so much fun learning this amazing art. It turned out pretty well for my first one I think.
Stepping out of my comfort zone of stained glass for an afternoon caused me to think about art in another way. Try something new to spice up your way of thinking.



No comments:

Post a Comment

FALL IN

I was thinking of the different ways we use the word "Fall"; In the military "Fall In" is to take your place in for...