Sunday, April 28, 2019

Remembering Croatian Jewelry

I took a trip to the country of my ancestors in 2017. While one of our tour guides was explaining about the history and beauty of Croatia I noticed a beautiful beaded bracelet on her wrist. I asked if she bought it locally. She said " Oh, there used to be a shop but they don't sell them any more. I would give you this one but I don't know where to replace it." She would have given it to me? Wow.

Now I really had to find one to remind myself of the this wonderful place and the kindness of the people. I kept my eye out but came home without my bracelet. I thought of making my own. There was a wooden clasp and lots of tiny beads strung in rows. How hard could it be? Lucky for me I ran across an add featuring my bracelet. Eureka. Needless to say, I made an order.

When my order came it took me back to that day learning about the architecture and wonder of the place while meeting the people that spoke the language I heard from my Great Grandmother. Now when I wear it I will think of that lovely guide and the amazing country of my ancestors.



While shopping in the Croatian stores I ran across other jewelry that was made locally and represented the area.
This is a Brac stone necklace made from limestone along the Dalmation coast. 

I saw lots of these filigree ball pendants in the shops. They are made with such detail .

Most of the Lictarsko ornaments I saw were made as a biscuit.
This design is from Zagreb. I love these that are made into jewelry.
I hope you have enjoyed these Croatian jewelry designs. Watch our videos about jewelry I am making in the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FALL IN

I was thinking of the different ways we use the word "Fall"; In the military "Fall In" is to take your place in for...